WIC Reset Program and Chipless Firmware
MacJohn

Epson SX410 eeprom reset

Yes, I am one more that screwed up trying not just to reset ink pad counters, but doing a downgrade on my own, after reading on-the-fly in a hurry a text I got over internet somewhere.

Thus my EURO-Spanish SX410 became a new pretty nice AUSTRALIAN TX400. (dest. in Adjustment Program EAL). Of course, now she asks for cartridges that doesn't correspond to those we use in Spain and I guess in some other countries, too.

Trying to get new full firmware or eprom copy of my geographic zone to restore it to no avail. Nowhere. Including Epson Technical Support Spain where I was told that those kind of tools and even firmware updates have been retired by the company because they've had lots of problems with them. I can tell. I located a firmware update in Epson France (it should work, geographical destination for our countries in Adjustment Program must be "EURO" or "Europe") but the button just doesn't work. I told it to the guy at support. Here is the link for that:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetails.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=lkuCfcvA9cw3FDMg2fU002Fvgo64pkBVv4dzGfT08eqYk6sU003D&id=602772

I then asked him to give me the button sequence to get the eprom restored itself (I know for some other models it can be done: I've found if on internet. But it looks not for this models). No way. There's no such combination, he told me. At the best, you can try to unplug the printer, make two short pushes on the "ON" button and after 20 minutes restart the printer to adjust several minor points of the eprom. I did it. Nothing happened. I then tried to experiment myself and up to now, I've got these button combinations that make some things but doesn't reset to factory state the eprom. Here they are if this helps someone:

Epson SX410 Keystrokes:

Stop/Clear + ??”? + ON = Scanner Inspection Mode

Stop/Clear + ??”? + ON = Printer Inspection Mode

Stop/Clear + ?–¶??? + ON = Inspection Mode

Stop/Clear + ?—€??? + ON = Normal start.

Stop/Clear + ?–¶??? + Photo + ON =

EPSON Printer ROM

IPL Update Mode

IPL6

Stop/Clear + ?—€??? + Photo + ON =

EPSON Printer ROM

Program Update Mode

IPL6

Start + Photo + ON =

SCN CR Endurance Test

1. Lamp Condition

CR : ON / TPU : OFF : 1

Push the [OK] button.

Start + Copy + ON =

Motor Endurance Test

Test Mode

: 1

Push the [OK] button.

As you see, there are at least two options to work with the eprom and/or firmware with the adequate programs: a transmission program or even the firmware updater from Epson. Which, by the way (and that's curious) is available for some printer models (XP412, XP760 and XP750 as far as I've investigated over there: EM23E4, YG26E9 and MG20E8 respectively).

And now, the million dollar question: is there anyone over there who can *please* give me the original firmware file (HL079C) and/or an eprom dump from an operative European SX410 ?

Oops. Symbols I used don't display. I'll repost button combinations in plain text. Here:

Epson SX410 Keystrokes

Stop/Clear + Up arrow + ON = Scanner Inspection Mode

Stop/Clear + Down arrow + ON = Printer Inspection Mode

Stop/Clear + Right arrow + ON = Inspection Mode

Stop/Clear + Left arrow + ON = Normal start.

Stop/Clear + Right arrow + Photo + ON =

EPSON Printer ROM

IPL Update Mode

IPL6

Stop/Clear + Left arrow + Photo + ON =

EPSON Printer ROM

Program Update Mode

IPL6

Start + Photo + ON =

SCN CR Endurance Test

1. Lamp Condition

CR : ON / TPU : OFF : 1

Push the [OK] button.

Start + Copy + ON =

Motor Endurance Test

Test Mode

: 1

Push the [OK] button.

I'll keep trying button combinations. Don't worry: if I find more, I'll post them in case they're useful for someone.