WIC Reset Program and Chipless Firmware
Garry

WF-3720 - firmware version doesn't changes after downgrade

Epson firmware update over the Internet today to 30.74.CL27J9 caused the printer to stop recognizing the installed 3rd party cartridges. ????

Downloaded WIC, bought a firmware key, put the printer in maintenance more, ran the update ( CL26H9) which said it transferred OK to the printer.

2019-10-22_14-35-02.thumb.png.7b822857dfa911ec15d242218a34f2f0.png

The printer seemed to run the firmware update but when it seemed to complete it displayed a screen that said it still has the 30.74.CL27J9

IMG_4271.jpeg.52c700fec84f320cd82cb170da48d9be.jpeg

Powered on/off a couple of times, but no change, firmware is still 30.74.CL27J9 and ink cartridges are not recognized.

Tried to re-run the process but WIC says it's already done it.

2019-10-22_15-00-04.thumb.png.6542b15d4ac2330b82c8ea61d71dacec.png

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

By following this recommendation, will I need to buy an Activation key?  I really didn't want to go "chipless", just downgrade the firmware to allow 3rd party print cartridges.

What firmware version is FWF469TL.efu

Edited by Garry
Spelling correction

I am having the exact same problem with my WF-3720.  My screen shots would look exactly the same as above.

I followed the link above (The solution in this case is here:   http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?cPath=107&products_id=1837 )  Which leads me to a different firmware that I downloaded and installed and the firmware upgrade process is doing the same thing.  The printer never shuts off and it comes back with the old version.

I read elsewhere you need to force a corruption of the firmware by pulling the power on the printer while the upload is going on or while it is processing the update, but I have been unsuccessful with those attempts as well as it keeps going back to the same CL27J9 firmware.

Any other thoughts or tips?

Oh i re read the fix web page and it says touching the center of the screen powers off the printer which does work on my printer, but when I bring it up it's still the same version that doesn't allow new cartridges.  I would think it should be an older version or your version that now would require activation, but it doesn't seem like it's getting that new version.

No. I downloaded it, but didn't want to pay $20 if this state is unfixable.  It doesn't seem like anyone has confirmed that this worked for them and this new version of firmware on the forum.  Have you seen successes?  It also seems that I buy this $20 license and it will let me downgrade once.  Then there is some way to pay just the additional $15 and go chipless?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I purchased a activation key and treid the process again.  The firmware update seems to complete, but it doesn't change from 30.74.CL27J9.

Following your directions, I then ran license.exe and I have 2 choices in the drop down, 'WF-3720 series' and 'WF-3720 series FAX'.  Neither of these give me a printer ID and when I try to activate online I get the errors below.

What do you suggest I do now?  

image.png.01ba2ddb514e24eda6cbedc4026d5eff.png

image.png.d358c559e844d13351c1b6867c422e42.png

Update:  I kept applying firmware and pulling USB cable mid update with no luck getting into recovery mode.  I then started waiting until the firmware was sent to the printer and the printer was processing it as indicated by the flashing blue power light.  I pulled the power right when it started flashing fast and that put me into recovery mode.  From there I was able to apply the firmware from the link above.  Once I did that I was able to run license.exe and put in my activation code.  I saved the recovery code and powered off the printer.  When it was back up I was showing this firmware version: CL21l2

I installed a non-OEM ink cartridge and it appears to be working fine with this. 
No more errors and no more Epson ink required.

Trickier than I expected, but I think I am finally fixed!  

Thanks!