WIC Reset Program and Chipless Firmware
armsroom

PX-M885F (Japan Version of WF-C5790)

Does The Chipless firmware work for PX-M885F (Japan Version of WF-C5790)? 

PX-M884F (Japan Version of WF-C5710) is listed with WF-C5710. But PX-M885F is not listed.

Would the same be true of all Japan models? I am namely looking at EPSON SC-PX5 or other sure color A3 or A2 models of current or previous 2 generations. Related question, is it possible to put English firmware on these printers without bricking them? I live far away from the shops where they may or may not have international versions, and am hoping for a used deal regardless. Just can't afford to blindly buy, and hope for the best.

It is true only for models that use the same firmware as their western analogues, most of the time you can tell by the first two letters in the firmare version, if they are the same and models are from the same generation and look similar then more likely than not it will work. Sometimes firmware prefixes are reused by Epson, but usually only when there are several decades between the series.

SC-PX5VII is supported, for any other models you need to ask specifically.

Thanks for the reply,

Mostly I am looking at the SC-PX3v , SC-PX7iiV2 or possibly the newer SC-PX1V or SCPX1VL.

If there are any 17" printers I am missing that can do ultra wide prints (I do allot of Xpan like landscapes and citiscapes) or even 13" printers that can do extra wide panorama style, I am all ears. My money at the moment comes from mostly portraits, but it's not my long term aim. Budget is tight, but print shops don't really work for me anymore. I am primarily interested in pigment based unless there is a wonder dye based ink that can last 50 or more years in normal interior framing conditions.

Okay, thanks for this. What about just standard (non chipless) US firmware for all those models? My intention is to go chipless, but my need to print is fairly immediate. Officially epson Japan says there printers only work with Japanese versions of Windows, so I am wondering if simply installing US firmware would fix this limitation?

Good day. They use same firmware, different settings such as default language, displayed model name, default paper size and so on are controlled via various flags in the eeprom. As for the second question, as far as I know any printer will work with any version of the windows as long as there is a driver available and discribed limitations do not exist. Can you show where is says otherwise?

I found on one page of epson Japan's site where (translated) it said "Windows Japanese OS only". I went to Yodobashi (biggest chain) 2 days ago to investigate and the employees pulled up similar information from their tablet claiming that Japanese printers from Epson would only work on Japanese windows OS.. however (the plot thickens). I had a Japanese colleague send Epson Japan a direct message asking about the above models in regard to both English language and non Japanese Windows OS support and there response seemed to suggest it will work on non Japanese OS systems.. but that is based on a translation back to English as the colleague is not tech savy and couldn't understand the response on their own.

I missed the best deal on the PX5V2 about $150 but picked up another for a bit more. It should arrive in a day or two and then I enter deep learning mode.

I wanted to jump on a PX7V2 (P400) because the glossy optimization would likely look good for some of what I intend to print/attract potential clients, but the PX7V2 shows a much lighter weight of just 12KG vs 25KG on the US sight, so I had some doubts if it is indeed the same model. I guess it is just a mistake was made or one sight is weighing it in upper atmosphere..  Still I am probably better off with the superior monochrom capabilities of the P600 for now. Regarding the OS claims, I agree and sorta understand. It is a left over strategy from before the current bubble economy of the west when it was cheaper to buy a camera/printer etc from B&H and pay the shipping than buy it in Japan. With current exchange rates it is not the case anymore though, so the strategy is very dumb as it simply results in less printer these days. Case and point I could have spent $700 or even $1200 in the store this week, but all that head scratching led me to a used version which will let me go chipless, for just over $200 and now I am not bound to Epson inks either.. Win for me, lose for marketing team. I may even pick up a PX7V2 later on to play with and still be ahead.